Do you ever get invited to a potluck and then realize the night before you still have no clue what you’re going to make? I’ve definitely been there more times than I care to admit…and so I created the recipe for this quick, delicious, summery salad!
What I love most about this salad is that it’s sneakily healthy – the dressing is completely oil-free, and the salad itself is gluten-free and packed with veggies and protein. You won’t notice when you’re eating it because it has so much flavour!
Black Bean & Corn Fiesta Salad
A delicious salad to share with friends at a summer barbecue.
For the Salad
- 1 can of black beans (I used a 15oz can) drained and rinsed
- 1 can of corn (12oz) drained and rinsed
- 1 green pepper
- 2 vine tomatoes
- 1/2 red onion
- 1 cup cilantro, loosely packed
- 1 avocado
For the Dressing
- Juice of 2 limes
- 2 tsp cumin powder
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1/4 tsp cayenne OR 1/2 jalapeño, chopped (with seeds!)
- 1/2 tsp salt
- Chop pepper, tomatoes, and red onion into 1/4 inch pieces and combine in a bowl with beans and corn
- Chop cilantro finely and toss into the salad
- Make the dressing – combine the ingredients in a small jar or bowl. Shake or whisk them to combine, and pour over the salad.
- Finally, slice the avocado into 1/4 inch pieces – I like to halve the avocado, remove the pit, and then slice a grid into each half (about 4 slits each direction). Then, scoop the fruit out with a spoon and lightly toss it into the salad!
A couple notes:
- If you’re not planning to serve the salad right away, wait to cut and mix in the avocado until right before you serve the salad. I don’t know about you, but I don’t find brown avocado super appetizing…
- Feel free to use more or less spice depending on your preference. Personally, I like a bit of a kick, but nothing too crazy!
If you’re going to make this salad, keep in mind that it doesn’t just need to be served as a side – grab some of your favourite tortillas or some nice leaves of romaine lettuce, and use the salad as a filling for a delicious wrap! Not feeling a messy meal? Cook up some spiced rice and make a burrito bowl!
xo – M