Here’s a quick and easy recipe for a lightly sweetened and crispy muesli that is perfect on its own, with milk, or layered with fruit and yogurt to create a delicious parfait!
Quick and easy, nutty and sweet, stovetop-toasted muesli.
- 2 cups oats
- ⅓ cup chopped walnuts
- ⅓ cup slivered almonds
- ⅓ cup roasted pumpkin seeds
- 1-2 tsp cinnamon, depending on taste preference
- ¼ tsp salt
- ⅓ cup maple syrup
- ⅓ cup toasted coconut shreds
- ⅓ cup dried currants, or dried fruit of choice
- Over medium-high heat, add oats to a pan stirring continuously to avoid burning. Cook until fragrant, approximately 5 min.
- Add in the walnuts, almonds, pumpkin seeds, cinnamon and salt, and stir to mix.
- Reduce heat to low and add maple syrup. Stir until well combined.
- Remove from heat and gently stir in the coconut and dried fruit.
- Eat right away or after cooling. Allow to cool completely before storing in an airtight container in a cool, dry place.
- You can eat this muesli on its own, with milk and fruit or layer it with yogurt and fruit. It’s delicious every way, so make it your own!
Sometimes when I make this recipe I’ll also add in a few tablespoons of various seeds like chia, hemp and whole flax. Just depends on what I have around, as this recipe is so versatile! Switch up the nut and fruit ingredients based on your preferences.
I’ve always loved eating granola and muesli-like breakfast cereals, but never wanted to spend money at it at the grocery store to get sugar-heavy and preservative-rich cereals, so I love this simple at-home recipe! All of the dry ingredients I used were purchased from Bulk Barn, a bulk food store here in Canada. This allowed me get the exact amount of each ingredient that I needed for this recipe. By shopping at Bulk Barn I can also swap out different nuts, dried fruit, seeds, etc. that I like when different ingredients go on sale.
Another awesome thing about Bulk Barn is that you can bring your own reusable containers into the store and buy your ingredients without any packaging waste. Just be sure to have the cashier weigh your containers before you get started.
I hope you love this recipe as much as I do!