I don’t know about you, but I am obsessed with pancakes. It’s taken me years to get to a recipe that I consistently love, but these buttermilk pancakes do the trick for me every time. So now I’m taking my pancakes to the next level and basically making them a fantastic dessert. These pancakes topped with caramelized apples and oat crumble really hit the spot for a fancy brunch treat or an after-dinner indulgence!
Apple Pie Pancakes
The perfect combination of fluffy buttermilk pancakes topped with caramelized apples and cinnamon-oat crumble.
- 1.5 cups non-dairy milk
- 1.5 tsp apple cider vinegar
- 1.5 cups flour
- 2 tbsp sugar
- 1 tbsp baking powder
- Pinch of salt
- 2 tbsp oil
- 3 tsp vegan butter or oil to cook the pancakes
- 4 apples, peeled and diced into ½ inch pieces
- 3 tbsp vegan butter
- 4 tbsp brown sugar
- 1 tsp cinnamon
- ¼ cup oats
- 2 tbsp brown sugar
- ¼ tsp cinnamon
- 1 tbsp vegan butter
For the pancakes:
- In a small bowl, combine the non-dairy milk and apple cider vinegar. Allow to sit for 2 minutes or so.
- In a large bowl combine the dry ingredients (flour, sugar, baking powder, salt).
- Add oil to the milk and vinegar mixture and then pour it into the dry ingredients. Stir until combined (little lumps in the batter are okay).
- Heat 1 tsp vegan butter (or enough to coat your pan) in a medium sized frying pan over medium-high heat. (You can start cooking the apples at this point as well). Once the butter starts to sizzle, start to cook the pancakes – I use a ¼ cup measure of batter for each pancake and I cook three at a time.
- Wait for the tops of the pancakes to start to bubble through before flipping them (about 3 minutes) and then cook for 2 minutes on the other side.
For the apples:
- Peel and chop apples.
- Heat vegan butter in a pan over medium-high heat, allowing it to sizzle. Add the apples, brown sugar, and cinnamon and cook for 10 minutes or until fork-tender. Turn the burner off, but leave the apples on the element to continue caramelizing while you finish up cooking the last few pancakes.
For the crumble: Combine the ingredients in a bowl and mix together with a fork until it forms a nice crumble.
If you’re craving a little extra sweetness, drizzle some maple syrup on top of your pancakes. Some whipped cream or vanilla ice-cream would pair nicely as well!
If you’re just feeling like a super quick and easy breakfast, skip the delicious toppings and stick with the simple buttermilk pancakes. They’re delicious as is! Enjoy!
One thought on “Vegan Apple Pie Pancakes”
These look beautiful!