Looking for the perfect crisp and delicious french toast? No eggs, dairy, tofu or flaxseed required!
I created this recipe out of an insatiable craving for french toast one morning when I did not have any flaxseed in the house, which is what most vegan french toast recipes call for as an egg replacer. But I figured out this perfect solution to the problem – cornstarch! So simple and quick to make, yet perfectly crispy and delicious! I won’t be going back to my old way of making french toast any time soon.
The Ultimate Vegan French Toast
- 1 tbsp cornstarch
- ¾ cup almond milk
- ½ tsp vanilla extract
- ¼ tsp cinnamon
- 1 tsp sweetener (brown sugar, maple syrup, etc.) – optional
- 6-8 thick slices of bread (I used a French loaf)
- 2-3 tbsp vegan butter
- Whisk the cornstarch and almond milk together slowly in small amounts so the cornstarch can mostly dissolve. Some small chunks are ok.
- Whisk in the remaining ingredients.
- Heat pan on medium heat and melt 1 tbsp of vegan butter or 1 tsp neutral oil in the pan until it is hot and coats the pan.
- Dip a slice of bread in mixture on each side without soaking it. You do not want it to be soggy. Place into the hot pan and move on to the next piece. You can add more cinnamon to your mixture as you go so that each piece gets coated.
- Cook until golden brown (2-3 minutes), then flip and cook for another 1-2 minutes.
- Garnish with your favourite toppings!
If you want to make a double batch or have leftovers, save them in an airtight container in the fridge or freezer, then use the toaster to reheat the french toast to get that nice crisp texture every time!
It’s been a while since we’ve been able to create any new recipes because Mackenzie and I both moved to new cities at the end of August. Now we are a little more settled in and ready to get back to the fun of creating new, delicious meals!
Luckily for me I have two cute little assistants to help me out at home to make and even sometimes taste my food 😉 Let me know if you want to see more of my puppy in future posts!
Follow us on Instagram @platifulkitchens and tag us if you give this recipe a try!
Happy cooking 🙂